Tuesday 7 January 2014

Motion graphics Production blog

OCT 1st 2013
Initial idea: A crowd of people outside watching a large screen showing clips from different events and music videos from the 1970's. The shot zooms through the crowd to get a better view of the screen which shows more clips from that era. Finally the title of the programme shows on the screen. (No title so far)
Storyboard for 1st title sequence idea.
In this storyboard we can see that it will begin with a moving shot of an animated crowd watching a large screen as a type of concert. The screen features many different clips from the 70's showing things such as news stories, big TV/ film events, 70's music videos and bands, along with anything else that would concern that era. It will move through the crowd of people, going to the right until it is in the centre of the crowd facing the screen head on. It will finally zoom though the crowd and onto the screen alone so it is all that is in shot. The screen will then show the title of the programme "Hits of the 70's (Working title) and from there it will fade out and onto the presenter or presenters depending on how the script turns out.

70's font styles

As this will be centred around the 1970's it will have to feature as much content from the 70's as possible. This could be something as simple as font styles that were highly used and known throughout the era. Here are some examples;



From these images we can see that there is a large variety of different font styles that we do not use much today if at all. Any of these wold be service to use as a title and possible logo in the background.

13th Nov 2013

As for the actual presenting of the programme the room will be green screened as a 1970's style room as used by TV presenters in the 70's. The presented him or herself I am planning on being on being dressed in a 1970's style and open with something like "Hello and welcome to "Events of the era" (Working title) Today we will be looking at the 1970's which explains why I am dressed like this and why the room does also." In the 2-4 minutes of presenting various facts about the 70's will be either mentioned or shown in clips. This could be things like the death of Elvis. The birth of Disco. The premier of the show M*A*S*H*. Or any other event that was known in the 1970's. It will then end with either a highly known and popular music video from the 1970's (possibly "God save the queen" by the sex pistols as it is the number one on the 1970's music charts), or a montage of different clips from the 70's much like at the start when it is coming into the programme.

First draft for the presenters script.

19th Nov 2013

Mapping out all ideas for the production.


 Presenters look: The person who will be presenting this programme will be wearing 1 of 2 possible outfits. My first though is that he or she wear a 1970's style of clothing much like as seen in the pictures below;

This is to help them fit into the category of the 1970's and to possibly provide a little humour to the audience. Failing to obtain clothing like this then they will be wearing a more modern and simple style. This will most likely include a plain shirt, jeans or smart trousers, and sensible shoes, by this I mean no trainers.

1970's montage
In the title sequence and playing in the background there will be a montage of the 1970's. In this montage there will be randomised footage from music videos, news footage, old shows/Films and other content from the 70's. Music video clips that will be seen will be from popular artists who lived or died in the 70's such as Elvis or Michael Jackson. News related can show the 1972 Olympics terrorist attack along with the news article of Elvis passing.

20th November 2013

Set design sketch
As the deadline date is getting closer and closer I have began to think about what the set of the programme will look like. The presenter(s) will be stood in front of the middle wall where 2 other walls will be on either side, both with TV screen on showing footage of the topic which the presenter(s) is currently addressing. There will be a large flower on the ground to have a brief representation of the 70's. The walls will all be covered in a 1970's style wallpaper with "Events of an era the 1970's" written multiple times on it.

Working on the backdrop I have found the issue of setting the triple walls so they look accurate, and have yet to start on the floor. I have the design for the walls finished and only have to add all 3 into the same image. I looked up on Google how to set it out and came across this image that is a great example of what I am trying to do.

21st November 2013

Coming to improve my script and draw out my storyboard for filming I had the idea of working with the 2 minute time limit as a way on making my production longer. This consists of the intro having the presenter saying "Now I only have 2 minutes" and soon after when he or she is listing off the facts a 2 minute timer is counting down in the corner. There will also be someone off camera with a timer waiting to press the button so it is more accurate. Then I will include an outro which when but together with the intro makes it roughly 20-30 seconds longer which will give me a full 2 minutes of the information with a little bit of speaking with the audience added on.

Storyboard


Script second draft
With my new idea of being able to lengthen the production I had to rewrite the script to accommodate that. To do this I added more to the intro and outro, in the informative section when facts about the 70's is being listed then I have shortened some of the longer subjects to ensure that I won't go over the 2 minute limit for that section. As a result the script is not much different but it is an improvement.






2nd December 2013

My presenting actor is now decided as Rosa Graham. She is a first year acting student at Stockton Riverside and is more then egar to help out with this production. She will be supplying the 70's costume as she has assured me that she has 70's style clothes at home, so it saves me some money on purchasing some for her. She has received the script and will know it for the planned filming this Friday on the 6th.

(Rosa Graham)

6th December 2013

Today I filmed my presentation for the motion graphics and overall it went well. I was delayed with the fact that the room was opened 1 hour and a half later than first promised. It took 30-50 minutes to set up, film and clean away the equipment. Set up took about 10 minutes, clean up about 5 and the remainder was filming. It took so long due to my actress constantly making the same mistake of saying "1997" instead of "1977" but it wasn't too much of a problem. Footage captured was 11 minutes 21 seconds long, after the first few takes we decided to turn the camera off and run through it until we got it right. Rosa did really well and never complained on my points for improvement, and we ended up breaking into laughter whenever she said "1997" so it was a lot of fun to film. It was a bit more of a challenge to film the whole thing than I first thought. Another member of the class, Shemar Chawla, was supposed to meet me there at 10 to help film. We finished around 11-11:30 and he never came. This led me to operate the camera, set up the lights, run the teleprompter, direct Rosa, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. This did provide me with more experience in all of these areas but I am concerned about the footage as I had to stay at the computer to run the Teleprompter and as a result could not see what the camera was capturing.

11th December 2013

Edit almost finished, just requiring to finish the set, balance out the screens, and add in a little soundtrack. While I was importing Rosa from the green scree onto the backdrop I accidental used the "Glass" tool in after effects and ended up spending the next half hour trying to work out what I did until I got help from an after effects expert in my class Jordan Dent. 

17th December 2013

Edit is now complete all I need is to burn it onto disk.

7th January 2014

Back in collge and able to burn onto disk. Checked through the finished project again to look for any problems I hadn't noticed and found several jump cuts that were seen in the monitors on the wall. Now that is fixed I am fully confident I can burn it onto my disk.


Now is burned and handed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment